US citizens giving birth in Vietnam should report to the US Consulate or Embassy as soon as possible. This reporting is called a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) so that your child gets a birth certificate and a US passport .

So what is the procedure to make a Consular Birth Certificate Abroad? Let’s find out with Visa Miha through this article. 

What is CRBA?

Consular Report of Birth Abroad/CRBA, in English , is a document certifying US citizenship for children born abroad if one of the parents meets the conditions for the transfer of nationality to the child. under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Making a Consular Report of Birth Abroad in the way it is roughly called is to make an American birth certificate for the child of an American citizen born in Vietnam. Usually when going to get a birth certificate, parents also make a US passport for their children.

Similar terms:

  • Make a Consular Birth Certificate abroad
  • Making Consular Birth Certificate
  • Making Consular Birth Certificate
  • Make a US Birth Certificate
  • Consular report of birth abroad 
  • Do CRBA
  • Get US citizenship
  • Get a US passport for a child born in Vietnam
  • Naturalization for children born outside the US
  • Apply for US citizenship for children born in Vietnam

Conditions for doing CRBA

Children of US citizens born in Vietnam may receive US citizenship from one of the two parents having US citizenship. Depending on whether the child is born in wedlock or out of wedlock, the parents must provide the appropriate documents.

Conditions for children born in Vietnam to receive US citizenship from parents:

  • At least one of the parents was a US citizen at the time the child was born;
  • The blood relationship between the child and the American parent;
  • Documentation proving that the US citizen parent was present in the US for at least 5 years before the child was born .

In addition to the above ‘passing’ the citizenship requirements, when doing CRBA parents need to provide evidence to prove the birth of the child.

  • Proof that one parent was present in the same place at the time the child was conceived.
  • Evidence related to the birth of the child such as antenatal care certificate, ultrasound, hospital discharge certificate, birth certificate, etc.

Process of making CRBA

  • Step 1. Consider the conditions for doing CRBA
  • Step 2. Make an appointment with the US Consulate/Embassy (3 weeks before the appointment date)
  • Step 3. Attend an interview at the Consulate/Embassies (Children must be present)

List of documents for CRBA and US passport


  • Form DS-2029 (Consular Birth Certificate Abroad)
  • Child’s Vietnamese birth certificate
  • Proof that the child’s parent is a US citizen
  • Passport of the parent who is not a US citizen
  • Marriage certificate (if any)
  • Divorce/annulment/death certificate (if any)
  • Proof of residency in the US
  • Evidence that the father and mother were present at the same place at the time of conception
  • Proof of the baby’s birth and antenatal checkbook
  • Proof of the name change of the US citizen parent

You should know: CRBA LÀ GÌ? 5 BƯỚC LẤY CRBA CHO CON

Make a passport

  • Your child’s DS-11 (Passport Application)
  • Figure 5 x 5 cm
  • Form DS-3053 (Abandoned Parent’s Consent Declaration)
  • A certificate confirming that the child has not been issued a social security number

Fees to pay to the US Consulate: CRBA $100, Passport $135.

Frequently asked questions

Birth registration must be present on the date of appointment?

The birth child (applicant) must be present on the date of the interview appointment at the US Consulate/Embassy.

When to do CRBA for children?

According to regulations, parents can apply for a consular birth certificate for a child under 18 years old. However, in our opinion, it should be done as soon as possible as soon as the baby has a Vietnamese birth certificate.

Both parents must be present on the date of the appointment?

The child’s parents must be present on the date of the appointment to sign. If either parent is not present, the absentee must fill out Form DS-3053 (Affidavit of Absence Parental Consent) notarized at the US Consulate/Embassy.

Can illegitimate children do CRBA?

Have. The illegitimate children of US citizens are still eligible to be CRBAs. The US Consulate/Embassy may require additional documents to prove the blood relationship.

Can I get a Social Security Number (SSN) in Vietnam?

Currently, the US Consulate/Ambassador in Vietnam does not issue a social security number (SSN) to children born in Vietnam. You can do an SSN when you bring your baby to the US.

In Vietnam, you can do SSN through the US Embassy in the Philippines. Documents must be notarized at the US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City before being sent. The time to issue an SSN is about 3 months.


Hoàng Minh Hân

Hoàng Minh Hân có hơn 10 năm kinh nghiệm trong lĩnh vực làm dịch vụ visa và thủ tục pháp lý cả trong và ngoài nước, hiện tại đang là một Founder và CEO cho công ty TNHH Dịch vụ Visa MIHA, xây dựng chuỗi dịch vụ visa toàn diện dành cho người Việt Nam và người nước ngoài.
Đồng thời, tôi cũng có kinh nghiệm giải quyết thành công hàng trăm hồ sơ khó cho khách hàng khi xin visa du lịch, thăm thân hay định cư ở các quốc gia Mỹ, Úc, Canada, Châu Âu.

Facebook Zalo
0909 316 529
Liên hệ